Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The "F" Word


1. "When I was twelve, I decided to simplify my life by adding an American middle name. The decision serves as proof that sometimes simplifying one's life in the short run only complicates it in the long run." page 63

Not many people know that my real name is Veronica, which I inherited from my Great Grandmother Veronica, who was also called Neeka. This is where I got my "nick-name", that usually serves as my real name. When I was a little bit younger than Firoozeh at that age, I tried the same thing. I was tired or my names and wanted a new one. So when I started a new dance class, I told people that my name was Ronnie (sort for Veronica). One day halfway through the year, my teacher was telling my mom about me in class and mentioned me as Ronnie. My mom got really confused. When they figured it out, she thought it was the funniest thing. Ronnie was no more after that. I'm still embarrassed by it and wish that it had never happened. Just like Firoozeh, I am true to my "real" name, Neeka, which I love, because it's unique.

2. "I finally chose the name 'Julie' mainly for its simplicity" page 64

I wonder why Sundara and her family didn't choose American names when they immigrated? I'm happy that they didn't, I don't thing that you should have to change your name for anything (unless your parents gave you a really bad one or you're in the WPP). I'm guessing probably because they wanted to stay true to their country, they didn't chose to come to America, they had to.

1 comment: