Wednesday, January 11, 2012

With a Little Help From My Friends

1. "As soon as I spoke enough english to communicate, I found myself being interviewed nonstop by children and adults alike." page 31

Firoozeh and Sundara were both asked about their homelands, but for different reasons. People flooded Firoozeh with silly questions about Iran, while a boy at Sundaras old school heartlessly wanted to know how many people she had seen die before she had escaped Cambodia.

2. "Older boys often asked me to teach them 'some bad words in your language.' At first I politely refused. M refusal merely increased their determination, so I solved the problem by teaching them phrases like man kharam, which means 'I'm and idiot! I'm and idiot!'"

Firoozeh was fed up with people being culturally ignorant, so she dealt with it in a way that was hilarious and a brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment