Thursday, January 5, 2012

Leffingwell Elementary School

1. "Until my first day at Leffingwell Elementary School, I had never thought of my mother as an embarrassment, but the sight of all the kids in school staring at us before the bell rang was enough to make me predend that I didn't know her." page 4

I find it interesting that no matter who you are, or where you're from, you're always embarrassed by your parents. Even if they're not trying, being associated with them somehow lowers your social status and makes you look wired. When Firoozeh entered a room full of peers, she became self conscious an embarrassed by the fact that her mother was different. Often my dad will do really embarrassing things in public, and I just walk in the other direction because I don't want people to know we're related.

2. "...the woman and her daughter walked us all the way to our front porch and even helped my mother unlock the unfamiliar door. After making one last futile attempt at communication, they waved good-bye. Unable to thank them in words, we smiled even more broadly." page 7

I'm just happy that there are people in this world who are kind to others without expecting anything in return. These women went out of their way to help people they didn't even know get home.

1 comment: